Unfortunately, she now has to have her entire body scanned every six months for malignant growths and as her daughter, so do I. Because I have a parent diagnosed with melanoma, my chances of having a malignant growth increase 75%. Not good odds, eh? I simply can't explain how embarrassing it is bending over and spreading my butt cheeks so my dermatologist can evaluate my skin for lesions. Even worse is knowing one of these days, odds are, she'll find something cancerous.
Obviously, when mom was diagnosed, I jumped on-line and started researching everything I could find about melanoma (you've probably noticed...I'm a big researcher). It's a scary cancer. If it's not found in time, the mortality rate is nearly 100%. This, in particular, makes our bi-yearly checks especially important.
However, on every single site I visited, it was recommended that people with melanoma or a risk for melanoma avoid sunlight at all costs. Many of the sites stated, "If you have to be in the sunlight, use copious amounts of sunscreen, wear big hats and long sleeve shirts." Essentially, if you're going to be outside, cover every inch of skin so it won't be exposed to sunlight. And yes, our dermatologist made the same suggestions.
Avoiding sunlight isn't wise and I believe it's a travesty people are being made to believe the sun is the enemy.
As long as you're getting sun exposure daily...in moderation...your body is able to produce adequate amounts of Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin. Vitamin D has been proven to not only prevent the flu, but cancer as well. There's also evidence it can help osteoporosis, hypertension, diabetes, seasonal affective disorder, and psoriasis.
In this entry, because we're in the midst of the dreaded flu season, I'm focusing only on Vitamin D and it's effects on cold & flu. Indeed, the flu vaccine is completely unnecessary and should be avoided at all costs.
Here's why according to Dr. Joseph Mercola:
1. The majority of of flu shots contain 25 micrograms of
mercury; an amount considered unsafe for anyone weighing less than 550
pounds! And which groups are most sensitive to the neurological damage that
has been associated with mercury? Infants, children, and the elderly...the same
groups the CDC pushes hard each year to get vaccinated.
2. No studies have conclusively proven that flu shots prevent flu-related
death among the elderly, yet this is one of the key groups to which they’re
3. If you get a flu shot, you can still get the flu (or flu-like symptoms).
This is because it only protects against certain strains, and it’s anyone’s
guess which flu viruses will be in your area.
So why would you take a flu shot – EVERY YEAR -- that has NEVER been proven to be effective, that can give you the very illness you’re trying to prevent, and has potential long-term side effects that are far worse than the flu itself?
The powers that be have done an excellent job of instilling fear into the population so they believe that they must get a shot to stay healthy, but the simple reality is it’s doing you more harm than good.
Each dose of the flu vaccine contains more than 250 times the Environmental Protection Agency’s safety limit for mercury. If that isn't enough to scare you, here's the other ingredients listed in the flu vaccinations we're all so willing to stand in line for:
- Formaldehyde -- a known cancer-causing agent
- Aluminum -- a neurotoxin that has been linked to Alzheimer’s disease
- Triton X-100 -- a detergent
- Phenol (carbolic acid)
- Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
- Various antibiotics: neomycin, streptomycin, gentamicin – which can cause allergic reactions in some people
Now, I don't know about all you, but I'd much rather prevent the flu naturally than inject that big bunch of crap into my body.
If all this isn't enough to make you re-think the flu vaccine, here's some more information. There is emerging evidence that flu shots cause Alzheimer’s disease, most likely as a result of combining mercury with aluminum and formaldehyde. Mercury in vaccines has also been shown to be a contributing factor in autism.
Other serious, and potentially deadly, adverse reactions to the flu vaccine include joint inflammation and arthritis, anaphylactic shock, and Guillain-Barré syndrome, a paralytic autoimmune disease.
For most people, the flu shot does not prevent illness, but actually does the polar opposite--it weakens your immune system and makes you more predisposed to the illness.
I'm sure you've all seen the commercials informing the public how the 'almighty' flu vaccine saves 30,000+ lives each year. Right?
The 30,000 deaths the CDC is referring to is deaths caused by pneumonia...not influenza. In fact, for all the years I could find information, legitimate flu deaths effected less than 500 people and that was mostly elderly folks with compromised immune systems.
The CDC and pharmaceutical companies are fear-mongering to the masses, plain and simple. They have a product they must sell...so they make folks believe they'll get sick and die if they don't use said product.
But do these vaccine manufacturers use their own product? Listen and find out:
So what can you do to protect yourself from the flu? Many things....
1. It's no surprise influenze season happens in the heart of winter...when the sun is but a weak blip in the sky and everybody is Vitamin D deficient. If you live in an area where you actually see the sun during the winter months, get outside! Absorb those rays and let your body do the work of making Vitamin D. If you're like me and live in an area where the winter months are perpetually gray, a tanning bed used in moderation is an option. This doesn't mean we're using the tanning bed for a 'dreamy' tan or allowing ourselves to burn to a crisp...it's all about moderation. If a tanning bed isn't an option, oral Vitamin D is your next best choice. My entire family takes oral Vitamin D.
At this moment, my children take 400 IU's (international units) daily and Doug and I take 1,000 IU's daily.
However, there is developing evidence which shows those dosages are too low to be therapeutic. Instead, they're now recommending 2,000 IU's for children and 5,000 to 10,000 IU's for adults. I'll keep you updated on these developments.
Here's a short video from Dr. Mercola which will give you all the relevant information regarding Vitamin D and the flu.
2. Olive Leaf Extract has been found to be a powerful broad spectrum anti-viral agent, active against all viruses tested, including numerous strains of influenza and para-influenza viruses, according to Dr. Mercola.
My entire family takes Olive Leaf Extract, as well.
For more information about OLE (Olive Leaf Extract), please click here.
3. Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet free of sugar.
4. Eat garlic regularly. For more information about why garlic is beneficial, click here.
5. Excercise daily.
6. Get adequate sleep.
7. Make sure you have adequate amounts of essential fatty acids in your diet.
8. Avoid stress.
9. Boost your immune system with a good multi-vitamin, vitamin C, and zinc.
10. Good handwashing is always key in preventing any illness.
I do hope this information is enough to at least give you pause the next time you're debating whether or not to get the flu vaccine. There are other, healthier, safer ways to protect yourself and your loved ones against the flu. Vaccinations are not the answer.
My hope is we all stay healthy this flu season. Here's to continued health...the natural way!